Turfkruijer Part 7

Continued from Part 6



    i.    GEFFREY7 DUVEEN, b. 1886.

43.  EVA6 DUVEEN (MOZES5, ENOCH ELKAN JOSEPH4, JOSEPH MOSES HANGJAS3, MOSES JOEL HANGJAS2 TURFKRUIJER, JOEL JOSEPH HANGJAS1) was born 24 Mar 1843 in Zwolle, and died 01 Apr 1891 in Apeldoorn.  She married SIMON DE JONG 06 Jun 1867 in Zwolle.  He was born 06 Apr 1840 in Epe, Gelderland.

Children of EVA DUVEEN and SIMON DE JONG are:
    i.    SALOMON7 DE JONG, m. SARA DE LEEUW, 26 Mar 1908, Groningen; b. 28 Sep 1880, Groningen; d. 25 Jan 1943, Auschwitz.
76.    ii.    ROOSJE DE JONG, b. 17 Jun 1868, Apeldoorn; d. 23 Nov 1942, Auschwitz.
77.    iii.    SAARTJE DE JONG, b. 08 Nov 1871, Apeldoorn; d. 12 Jan 1945, Bergen Belsen.
    iv.    HESTER DE JONG, b. 1877; m. SALOMON ISRAEL THEMANS, 20 Jun 1900.

44.  HEIMAN MOZES6 DUVEEN (MOZES5, ENOCH ELKAN JOSEPH4, JOSEPH MOSES HANGJAS3, MOSES JOEL HANGJAS2 TURFKRUIJER, JOEL JOSEPH HANGJAS1) was born 19 Apr 1845 in Zwolle.  He married (1) ANTJE-AALTJE VERDUIN 15 Dec 1874.  She was born 1845 in Dieman, and died 16 Apr 1875 in Zwolle.  He married (2) LEENTJE DE LEEUW 09 Dec 1875 in Winschoten, daughter of AARON DE LEEUW and SARA ENGERS.  She was born 15 Aug 1847 in Winschoten.

    i.    MAURITS7 DUVEEN, b. 12 Aug 1877, Groningen; d. 15 Dec 1942, Auschwitz; m. (1) GRACIA JESSURUN LOBO; b. 18 Mar 1877, Amsterdam; d. 15 Dec 1942, Auschwitz; m. (2) SOPHIA DANNEBOOM; b. 06 Jul 1893, Zwolle.
78.    ii.    SARA-SAARTJE DUVEEN, b. 04 Oct 1878, Groningen; d. 08 Oct 1942, Auschwitz.
79.    iii.    REINA-REINTJE DUVEEN, b. 02 Oct 1879, Groningen; d. 19 Nov 1943, Auschwitz.
    iv.    ADOLF DUVEEN, b. 19 Oct 1880, Groningen; d. 19 Nov 1943, Auschwitz; m. MINNA ROSENBURG; b. 1882, Atteln; d. 19 Nov 1943, Auschwitz.
80.    v.    MARCUS DUVEEN, b. 25 Aug 1882, Groningen; d. 1970, Hilversum.
    vi.    SOPHIA DUVEEN, b. 09 Feb 1884.
81.    vii.    HERMAN DUVEEN, b. 25 Feb 1885, Groningen; d. 22 May 1944, Auschwitz.
82.    viii.    SOPHIA-FIE DUVEEN, b. 06 Sep 1887, Groningen; d. 28 May 1943, Sobihor.


Children of HENOCH DUVEEN and HANNA KAN are:
83.    i.    JETTE7 DUVEEN, b. 25 Oct 1890; d. 1954, Even Yehuda, Israel.
84.    ii.    SOPHIA DUVEEN.
    iii.    JULIUS DUVEEN, b. 13 Mar 1876, Amsterdam; d. 28 Jan 1944, Auschwitz.
    iv.    JAAP-JACOB DUVEEN, b. 08 Jan 1884, Amsterdam; d. 21 May 1943, Sobihor.
85.    v.    HARTOG DUVEEN, b. 1885; d. 1944, Norwich.
86.    vi.    ABRAHAM-ABIE MOZES, b. 22 Mar 1893, Amsterdam; d. 07 Aug 1942, Auschwitz.

46.  IZAAK6 DUVEEN (MOZES5, ENOCH ELKAN JOSEPH4, JOSEPH MOSES HANGJAS3, MOSES JOEL HANGJAS2 TURFKRUIJER, JOEL JOSEPH HANGJAS1) was born 15 May 1851 in Zwolle.  He married LEENTJE SPANJAR 1879 in Nijkerk, Gelderland, Netherlands.  She was born 24 Nov 1857 in Nijkerk.

    i.    SAARTJE7 DUVEEN, b. 03 Nov 1880, Zwolle; m. DE MESQUITA J. BUENODE, 1901, Zwolle.
    ii.    CLARA DUVEEN, b. 21 Apr 1882, Zwolle.
    iii.    REINTJE DUVEEN, b. 22 Jun 1883, Zwolle; d. 02 Jul 1943, Sobihor.
    iv.    MOZES DUVEEN, b. 23 Aug 1885, Zwolle; d. 14 Mar 1886, Zwolle.
    v.    HEINTJE DUVEEN, b. 19 Feb 1887, Zwolle; m. J. H. L. BROKMEIJER, 1908, Zwolle.

47.  WOLF6 DUVEEN (MOZES5, ENOCH ELKAN JOSEPH4, JOSEPH MOSES HANGJAS3, MOSES JOEL HANGJAS2 TURFKRUIJER, JOEL JOSEPH HANGJAS1) was born 26 Feb 1855 in Zwolle.  He married REBEKKA ENGERS 07 Jan 1880 in Winschoten, daughter of FREERK ENGERS and HENDERINA POLAK.  She was born 03 Mar 1852 in Winschoten, and died 25 Dec 1916 in Winschoten.

    i.    MOZES7 DUVEEN, b. 20 Oct 1880, Zwolle.
    ii.    FREERIK DUVEEN, b. 09 Feb 1882, Winschoten; d. 02 Apr 1945, Bergen Belsen; m. JOHANNA WAGENAAR.
87.    iii.    SIMSON DUVEEN, b. 30 Jun 1883, Winschoten; d. 12 Feb 1943, Auschwitz.
    iv.    HERMAN DUVEEN, b. 26 Aug 1884, Winschoten; d. 26 Oct 1942, Auschwitz.
    v.    HENDRINA DUVEEN, b. 14 Nov 1885, Winschoten; d. 28 Jan 1944, Auschwitz; m. MICHAEL WAGENAAR; b. 14 Nov 1885, Wildervank.
    vi.    IZAK DUVEEN, b. 14 Nov 1885, Winschoten; d. 09 Jan 1886, Winschoten.
    vii.    SARA DUVEEN, b. 18 Jan 1887, Winschoten; d. 20 Mar 1943, Sobihor; m. LIEPMAN KOSSES; b. 09 Nov 1882, Bellingwolde; d. 20 Mar 1943, Sobihor.
    viii.    IZAAK DUVEEN, b. 25 Sep 1888, Winschoten; m. HENRIETTE DE HAAN; b. 14 Nov 1890, Noordhorn.

Generation No. 7

48.  EDWIN (EDDIE) LISTER7 HANDRICKS (NORMAN (NORRIE) FREDERICK JAMES6, JOZEF LEVI5, LEVIE JOSEPH JOZALE4 HANGJAS, JOSEPH JOZALE ABRAHAM HANGJAS3 TURFKRUIJER, LEVY JOEL HANGJAS2, JOEL JOSEPH HANGJAS1) was born 05 Mar 1926 in Lister Hospital, Gisborne, and died 01 May 2011 in Middlemore Hospital, Auckland.  He married NORMA MARGARET LOUISA HARRIS 31 Oct 1953 in 2:00pm St Davids Church, Naenae, Wellington, daughter of FREDERICK HARRIS and MARGARET VALENTINE.  She was born 12 Jan 1930 in Alexandra Nursing Home, 28 Hanson Street, Newtown, Wellington, and died 11 Dec 2011 in St Andrews Hospital, Glendowie, Auckland.

Edwin was born in Gisborne and got his middle name, "Lister" from the name of the hospital (a former brothel) in Gisborne where he was born. Ruby, his mother, was suffering from perotonitis at the time of his birth and in thanks for the staff at the hospital managing to save both mother and child, Ruby name him "Lister". Ian, Eddie's son, also was named Lister.

Edwin attended Seddon Memorial Technical College and later completed an apprentiship as an electrician. He served during World War II in the Air Force as a ground technician and has had a life long interest in the theatre, especially as electrical back-stage crew with His Majesty's Theatre in Auckland and a number of other theatres throughout NZ. He started his electrical career with ECC (Electrical Construction Co.) and later went onto join the Auckland Electric Power Board becoming Chief Inspector for a number of years. After Norma and he married they moved to thier first home at 9 Farringdon St, Glen Innes where the three childreen were raised. They then moved to 9 Dale Cres, Pakuranga and onto Prince Regent Dr, Howick. They then moved to Papamoa. Eddie was an active member of the Institute of Electricians (and for a time President of the Institute) and had a pivitol role in the writing of the electrical wiring regulations. In his retirement he was a Taxi driver.

Eddie was a heavy smoker all his life and this affected his health. In later years he suffered from poor circulation and was admitted to hospital to undergo a triple A bypass operation, arteialgram and other procedures. Unfortunately he had his right leg amputated and in his last weeks the other leg was considered for amputation - however on the 1st May 2011 he passed away before this operation happened.

Eddie was a diificult man to live with. He had a temper and could be gruff and moody. He found it difficult to engage with his children and grandchildren. 3 years before he passed away, he and Norma split and went their separate ways. Eddie moved from boarding house to B&B and finally settled in a Presbyterian Home for the elderly. The two of them never really had much dialogue after the split. It was a difficult and often unhappy marriage.

In his earlier years, Eddie had and excellent head for mathematics and would hold an argument firmly. In later years he was forgetful, cranky, argumentative and sarcastic. He slept in late most weekends and was known to doze off frequently during stage performances at the theatre. Never successful with vehicles, virtually every car he owned broke down, cost a fortune to keep on the road or were grossly underpowered for the tasks required of them - he pulled a 10' 6" caravan, the five members of the family and the luggage around New Zealand with a side-valve 1952 10 HP Hillman Minx car!

He was certainly a character and possessed a somewhat skewed sense of humour. He was never really happy with his life and unfortunately left a legacy of unhappiness with his family.

Norma Margaret ouisa Harris was born 12 January 1930 at the Alexander Nursing Home, Wellington to Frederick Harris and Margaret Valentine. Her mother was the daughter of Jewish tailors from the east end of London and her father was in the merchant navy, the son of a London fishmonger and an Italian opera singer. Norma grew up in Mitcheltown, Te Aro, Wellington and lived in an home next to the old schoolhouse at the very end of the now famous street Holloway Rd.

Norma was a sickly child had skinny legs but, even then, had an artistic flair. Because of her poor health, she left school early to become a dancer in the hope that the physical exercise of dance would contribute to better health. She trained in ballet and dance with the Dorothy daniels Dance Studio in Wellington and progressed with distiction through the grades until she qualified in grade 8  performance, the pinnacle of dancing achievement. Norma appeared in numerous stage productions for a number of years. She travelled extensively throughout NZ.

She won awards for her performance and very soon after she left school (at an early age) and began “treading the boards”. She toured extensively and performed in countless productions in a stage career that spanned almost 20 years. Norma had a particular and somewhat cheeky character that could conjure fantasy and she put this into her performance and it became a mainstay of her character throughout life.

In her early twenties she met Edwin (Eddie) Lister Handricks. They met on stage during a performance of “The Boyfriend” – got engaged during a performance of “The Girlfriend” and were married, without a hint of irony, during the performance run of “The Merry Widow”. Eddie located and purchased their first home, 9 Farringdon St, Glen Innes, and not too soon after their first child and son, Ian Lister handricks was born in the front room of the new house. Their second child and daughterr Lynette followed a couple of years later and eventually after a number of miscarriages and battles with aenemia, a third child, Glenn, was born

Norma always took great care of her appearance, and was considered by most to be up wth the latest fashions – how we came to live in an olive green house, with lime green lounge suite, alternating pastel pink and blue kitchen cupboard doors and khaki floor tiles – obviously had nothing to do with Mum’s colour sense! The family grew and all three children married and produced in all eight grandchildren. She doted on them all and they were always guaranteed of her exquisitely wrapped gifts at birthdays and xmas. The first grandchild and only grandson was Daniel Logan Handricks, Ian's son.

Norma’s second great career was dressmaking and in particular, costume, fairy and fantasy outfits. She had a special talent here and her children were guinea pigs for her early endeavours. Every year they were decked out in costumes for xmas functions and parties as either scullery maids, cooks, quasimodo, witches – you name it she could create it! Norma started her own business, "Wandering Star", making and supplying the fairy shop with all manner of costumes, wings, wands and paraphenalia.

The urge to dance never left Norma. She began again later in life performing ballet in recital and retained her poise and fascination with this art to the end. Through dance and an enduring friendship of more than 50 years ago, she met Pauline Chamberlain. Pauline also shared the passion of dance - and even tried, it may noted - without success - to teach Norma's son, Ian,  how to ballroom dance.  In her later years Norma continued to sew and craft her fabulous creations – and enjoyed nothing more than a cup of tea and chocolate maccaroon. She had a ethreal spirit, enjoyed doing cryptic crosswords, taught her children to have a sense of fun and to approach situations with a lighthearted and humorous demeanor.

Norma's marriage to Eddie was not a happy one. Eddie was a difficult man who had a temper, was short-fused and was somewhat disengaged with the family. Although they were married for almost 60 years, Norma asked Eddie to leave after 53 years of them being together. It was an acrimonious split and they really never engaged in dialogue much after that time. Norma moved into an apartment and fared for herself (with Ian and Lynette's support) to the end.

In July 2011 Norma was advised that she was suffering from terminal Leukemia and that she would only have a limited time left. She passed away at St Andrew's Hospital, Glendowie, Auckland on 11 Dec 2011 in her 82nd year. Her funeral was held at St Paul's Church, St Heliers and she was laid to rest at Purewa Cemetery, in Meadowbank, Auckland.

88.    i.    IAN LISTER8 HANDRICKS, b. 06 Jul 1955, At Home, 9 Farringdon St, Glen Innes, Auckland.
89.    ii.    LYNETTE MARGARET HANDRICKS, b. 02 Jul 1957, At Home, 9 Farringdon St, Glen Innes, Auckland.
90.    iii.    GLENN PETER HANDRICKS, b. 03 Mar 1966, Middlemore Hospital, Auckland.

49.  ROBERT HARRY7 HANDRICKS (NORMAN (NORRIE) FREDERICK JAMES6, JOZEF LEVI5, LEVIE JOSEPH JOZALE4 HANGJAS, JOSEPH JOZALE ABRAHAM HANGJAS3 TURFKRUIJER, LEVY JOEL HANGJAS2, JOEL JOSEPH HANGJAS1) was born 08 Apr 1920 in Gisborne, and died 07 Aug 2007 in Dargaville.  He married KATHLEEN GLADYS MAY HOWELLS 1956, daughter of STEPHEN HOWELLS and MAUD ?.  She was born 27 Jun 1927 in NZ, and died 19 Oct 1989 in Auckland.

Robert Harry Handricks was born 08 Apr 1920 in Gisborne, New Zealand to Ruby and Norrie Handricks. Robert was actually one of twins born that day, his twin brother, William, died shortly after birth. Ot much is known of Bob’s early life but he did eventually become a cabinet maker.

Bob married Kathleen Gladys May Howells in 1956. He was the daughter of Stephen and Maud Howells of West Dean, Gloucestershire, England.

Together they established a family home in Celsmere Lane, Te Atatu where they raised two daughters - Diane Frances Handricks and Linda May Handricks. Bob became a car driver late in life and was a cabinetmaker for his whole life. He enjoyed a flutter on the horses and he would be described as a laconic, slow deliberate man, softly spoken and not particularly energetic.

After his wife, Kathleen, passed away Bob moved to Dargaville and lived in a house on River Rd. a few miles away from his daughter, Linda. Bob passed away on 07 Aug 2007 in his 88th year and is buried in Dargaville.

Kathleen was awarded the QSM for community service which included a lifetime of service to the Labour Party and local school, Rutherford High.

91.    i.    LINDA MAY8 HANDRICKS, b. 11 Sep 1962.
    ii.    DIANE FRANCES HANDRICKS, b. 02 May 1960; m. LIONEL LOZA.


Norman has had enjoyed a long and fulfilling career in theatre mangement. he was manager of the Whakatane Regent for over 35 years and simultaneously mangaed the Strand Theatre accross the road and the theatre in Opotiki. He was once a tallyman on the docks in Napier and served during the war. He was involved in theratre in Masterton (where he met his wife, Peggy) and many other theatres throughout NZ.

Norman’s theatre history – from newspaper article “hard Act to Follow”

After nearly 35 years without a day off for sickness Norman the Doorman, as he is affectionately known, has torn his last ticket in half as manager of Whakatane’s Regent Theatre. After a lifetime in the movie industry there is not much about the business Norman Handricks does not know or has not seen. He has certainly seen many changes from silent movies to sound on disc, sound on film and Cinemascope; which were all turning points in the industry.

Although the impact of television caused a downturn in the industry, he is convinced that things are on the way up again. “Cinemas will come into their own again. In Britain and Australia, theatres that closed are reopening their doors and people are rediscovering that the social aspect is something that home viewing can never provide. “Mid-week matinees have been growing in popularity recently because, they entice people out of their homes to go out and meet each other. The good days will come back again.”

Going into the movie business was a decision Norman almost did not make as he was keen on playing sport and wanted to have his own sports shop. Any spare money that he could earn went on new equipment for his sporting interests of rugby, tennis, cricket and swimming. But theatres and entertainment were in his blood and he followed in the footsteps of his father who was involved on the business side of entertainers and musicians.

Mr Handricks, senior, was responsible for taking vaudeville companies through Australia and New Zealand and had brothers and sisters who were instrumentalists and entertainers. He formed his own company at one stage called the Norrie Handricks Entertainers and Norman can well remember the finale number, When You and I Were Young, Maggie, sung by the entertainers accompanied by several mandolins. This number brought many a tear to the eyes of the elderly.

Another company was the Bell Chrome Ringers, a group of musicians who played different sized bells. The stage was an attraction to the young Norman and as a child he sang and did recitations. He dabbled with the piano, piano accordion and guitar and took piano lessons for three months. “I soon gave this up though as the teacher kept cracking me across the knuckles when I did something wrong. That was enough of that.

These companies eventually disbanded and his father was engaged by Fuller Haywards and he moved into the movie industry, leaving behind the live acts. This new career took him to theatres in Wellington (where Norman was born), Invercargill, Nelson, Palmerston North, Wanganui, Feilding and finally Gisborne which became home to the family. His father was the manager of Everybodys, later renamed the Majestic then the Odeon.

It was at this time that he first met Mr Robert Kerridge who took over Fullers and his future within the industry was on its way. Norman learned all he could from his father in running and operating theatres, and served his apprenticeship as a projectionist. He eventually moved to Opotiki in 1933 and instead of going to college decided to make his way in the business and was first employed at the Deluxe Theatre to do the cleaning, assist the projectionist, write posters - in fact he was called on to do a bit of everything. 

In 1936 he was transferred to Wairoa where there were two theatres. He did the matinees and lights at one theatre and the cleaning and projection work at the other before going back to Opotiki where he eventually became manager until he joined the Air Force.

After serving in the Air Force he returned to Opotiki to be a wharfinger as well as stand in at the theatre. Once again the theatre came first and after a short period in Paeroa he was transferred to manage Masterton’s Regent Theatre in 1951. “This was a grand ornate old theatre that put on stage shows and I met and enjoyed the company of many artists including the Follies Bergere. One I remember well was Tommy Trinder. He came in one day and asked to see the manager. I was cleaning at the time so I said the manager would be in at 10am.

“Just before 10 he returned and I was repairing a wash basin so I said the manager would be in about five minutes’ time. In five minutes I turned up as the manager and I can still remember the surprised look on his face!”

In 1954 Norman arrived in Whakatane which had two theatres then, the Grand and the Regent. The Grand in Park Lane had a large stage and was the venue for stage shows as well as films. “On Saturday afternoons we always showed a serial and a suitable film and we had competitions for the kids such as knuckle bones and hula hoop contests. We put on many special children’s pictures, double features with a serial on Fridays and Saturdays and screened horror films mid-week. Every Thursday night we held a talent quest. These were very popular.

When television arrived in July 1966 the Grand was closed and the Regent carried on until the present day. This theatre first opened its doors on April 3, I937. “It’s funny how odd things come to mind when thinking back to those days. Norman remembers once when someone threw a pig’s trotter at the Grand’s screen and it remained embedded in the fabric. “Another time, when I was at Opotiki, I found a finger on the floor when I was cleaning up. I put it in a Craven A tobacco tin because I knew no one would believe me. How it happened I don’t know but I suppose someone had had an accident and his finger was bandaged together. He must have been very engrossed in the film because he can’t have noticed it fall off.  He never came back for it either.”

Gimmicks came and went such as floating screens and 3-D movies which had to be watched through special glasses. These made a re-entry last year and were just as popular. Norman had three brothers and a sister, all of whom were involved in the business one way or another, or almost. Sister Gwen was an usherette at one stage, Robert worked backstage, Doug was keen on side shows and Edwin was a lighting technician at His Majesty’s in Auckland and once toured New Zealand with Sir Lawrence Olivier.  

In his very early days as a child Norman used to sell newspapers to raise money for his sporting interests. “I never had a round but I was given a street in which were hotels and service car depots. I used to follow people in and sold papers that way.”

After almost 35 years in the industry, Norman has many memories and people have fond memories of him and his theatre which became widely ‘known as Norman’s Emporium. . The highlight of his career, he says, was in 1984 when he was voted Showman of the Year winning an impressive trophy and an all expenses paid trip to Australia for him and his wife, Peg.

It would be difficult, one would imagine, to pick three favourite films out of the many hundreds he has seen but three he said do stand out - The Ten Commandments, One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest and Dr Zhivago.

Working long hours meant little to Norman and he worked from 9am to midnight seven days a week and has not missed a day or night through illness, a fact hardly surprising as his mother recently died, aged 104 years. Natural disasters did not deter him either. During the tidal wave scare his only thought was to put cans of film out of the reach of the seawater. Heavy rain at one time caused him to get out of bed and go down to the theatre to put buckets under a leaky roof so that Jean's Lingerie shop next door would stay dry.

After two or three break-ins, slashed seats, broken arm rests and movies that never arrived he still thinks that the cinema is like McDonalds - a great place with a great taste, mostly popcorn and jaffas. Even the 1987 earthquake did not hold him back. The theatre was built to sustain such a disaster and it rocked as one unit - there was no damage, not even a light bulb was broken. Attendance was a bit quiet for a while though as many people did not like sitting in confined spaces for long.

92.    i.    PAUL8 HANDRICKS, b. 23 Mar 1944, Masterton.
    ii.    SHIRLEY HANDRICKS, b. 30 Jan 1959.


Continued in Part 8